Diploma in Interior Design
These undergraduate programmes are designed for participants looking to enter the design world, and provide a complete education allowing participants to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to pursue a career in the chosen field.
3 years (full-time)
10th/SSLC/SSC from the recognised boards
Diploma Issuing Authority
Master the essential skills for a rewarding career in interior design. This 3-year programme covers space planning, furniture design, lighting, colour theory, and technical drawing. Gain hands-on experience through projects and studio work, developing your design aesthetic and professional portfolio.
PG Diploma in Interior Design incorporates design foundation studies and theory with its studio practice to enquire how they inform each other in expanding their scope and potential. The program trains students in the various material and communication studies, along with technical and digital tools that reflect the current standards of the interior design industry. The pedagogy supports a holistic approach by covering the various nuances that inform the field such as product and landscape design; and the students are encouraged to challenge the existing methodologies of working and practice, and formulate new ways of working.
- The two-year PG Diploma in Interior Design offered by JD Institute of Fashion Technology:
- Allows students to develop their skills in conceptualisation, creative thinking, analytical ability and technical mediums; help realise their creative identity and areas of specialisation.
- Enquire how functionality and aesthetics inform each other.
- Encourages students to get involved in creative and interdisciplinary collaborations to foster innovation in their specialised areas of study.
- Enable the student to identify issues and concerns in the current practice of interior design.
- Develops the ability of students to interpret market trends and the aptitude to formulate forecasts as well as new methodologies of working.
- Allows students to explore the scope and potential of interior design by integrating an approach that is informed by theory and practice.
Post completion of the two-year PG Diploma in Interior Design, the student will be able to:
- Acquire the skills to visual and verbally articulate their ideas and concepts through both technical and creative mediums, supported by a pedagogy that values innovation and experimentation.
- Identify issues and potential concerns of the industry, and offer effective solutions that are adaptable and versatile.
- Develop a personal identity and realise areas of specialisation and interest.
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge of innovative materials, sense of space planning, Indian art and crafts, heritage, design standards, and how to execute projects with maximum efficiency.
- Conceptualise and design interior spaces for homes, retails, hotels, offices, museums, and public spaces, including entertainment spaces; develop a sensitivity to the requirements of various spaces and built environments.
- Develop the skills to be an efficient and effective entrepreneur.
- Develop a practice that is sensitive and empathetic which helps them develop a craft that is efficient, original and creative.
- Case Studies– explore real-world industry scenarios.
- Study Trips– teach students industry trends and requirements. These trips are required.
- Self Directed Study – students explore and analyse subjects independently to support taught principles.
- Formal Lectures – These lectures provide vital information to the entire cohort.
- Seminars – encourage students to debate and argue.
- Studio /Workshop / Laboratory / Practical Sessions – help students develop creative and practical abilities by simulating the industry.
- Demonstrative– utilised for necessary technical subjects.
- Group Work– encourages pupils to work as a team and have roles.
- Internal Assessments–Provide an evaluation of students' learning progression throughout the course.
- Projects–In-class and independent research projects are undertaken to demonstrate students' depth of understanding.
- Semester Examinations– based assessments designed to test students' comprehension of subjects.
- Presentations-Used to assess subject understanding, communication skills, professionalism, critical thinking, and the ability to argue interpretations and findings.
- Portfolio Assessment:-Used in certain subjects to showcase learning from concept to execution.
- Self and Peer Assessment - Empowers students to become autonomous learners and integrates assessments into the learning process.
- Thesis Assessment- Involves independent research to test and prove the viability of an idea.
- Foundation Art and Material Studies
- Basic Design
- Anthropometry & Ergonomics
- Introduction to Space Design
- Interior Drating & Standards
- History of Interior Design
- Construction Material - I
- Design Thinking & Process
- Interior Styling & Accessories
- Space Design - I
- Construction Material - II
- Lighting Design
- Sustainability & Climatology
- CAD I - AutoCAD
- Services – Plumbing, Electrical & HVAC - I
- Estimation & Costing
- Interior Working Drawing & Detailing - I
- Space Design - II
- CAD II - SketchUp & V-Ray
- Project I - Residence
- Services – Plumbing, Electrical & HVAC - II
- Interior Working Drawing & Detailing - II
- Professional Practices & Ethics
- Furniture Design & Construction
- Project II - Office Design
- Internship / Industry Project
- Professional Communication & Marketing
- Portfolio Development
- Business of Interior Design
- Design Trends & Advancement
- Project III - Retail Design
- JD Design Awards
- Interior Designer
- Interior Decorator
- CAD Designer
- Space Planner
- Interior Stylist and Decorator
- Furniture Designer
- Set Designer (Theatre, Film, TV)
- Project Coordinator
- Exhibition Designer
- Visual Artist
- Visual Merchandiser
- Design and Sales Consultant
- Materials Expert
Q. What does the three-year Diploma in
Design course teach?
A. Our three-year diploma in interior design is designed to provide comprehensive knowledge and skills in various aspects of interior design, including spatial planning, furniture design, materials and finishes, lighting design, and project management. Students will also learn about design principles, architectural drawing, industry specific software tools, and sustainable design practices.
Q. What is the infrastructure of JD
School of Design
A. JD School of Design boasts state-of-the-art facilities to enhance the learning experience of our students. This includes spacious design studios, well-equipped computer labs with the latest design software, a resource library, etc.
Q. Will there be industry
A. Yes, we believe in providing our students with real-world exposure. Hence, we organize regular industry visits to interior design related brands, manufacturing units, showrooms etc. to help students understand industry practices and trends.
Q. Are there workshops and
A. Absolutely! Workshops and seminars are an integral part of our curriculum. We invite industry experts, renowned designers, and professionals to conduct workshops and seminars on various topics relevant to interior design, giving students valuable insights and networking opportunities.
Q. What are the career
A. Graduates of our diploma programme in interior design can explore a wide range of career opportunities in interior design firms, architectural firms, construction companies, real estate firms, furniture companies, event management companies, and self-employment as freelance designers or consultants.
Q. What is the eligibility
A. To be eligible for the three-year diploma program in interior design, applicants must have completed their 10th/SSLC/SSC from recognised boards.
Q. Is placement assistance
A. Yes, we provide placement assistance to our students to help them kick-start their careers in the field of interior design. Our dedicated placement cell facilitates industry connections, organizes campus recruitment drives, provides career counseling, and assists students in preparing their resumes and portfolios for job interviews.
Q. What are JD Design
A. JD Design Awards is an annual design showcase that recognizes students excellence and presents their work in front of the media and industry experts.
Q: Does JD School of Design offer
scholarships and fee
A: Yes, JD School of Design offers a variety of scholarships and fee concessions to help students access education. For more information click here .